Roleplay Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Idea
Idea
http://thepuntyranttimes.weebly.com

It's been a while since I've done an introduction... or has it? Empty It's been a while since I've done an introduction... or has it?

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:11 am
Yay for clickbate titles , right?

Hey there, how are you doing? This is Idea , or whatever you wannna call me, I like nicknames.

Not that it is the only thing I like. A weird guy like me (oh yeah, did I mention I'm a guy? People forget sometimes :p Guess I'm kind of a trap) has several other interests. Some of them I share with you, like roleplaying. Others I am pretty certain are a rarity , like philosophy and debating. And bad jokes like this one that I am constantly trying to make and rarely seem to land.

Still, it would be exhaustive to name all my interests, but here are a few. I like anime, comedy, eating , reading and playing trading card games and some blizzard games. My favorite color is yellow , my favorite food is chocolate, more specifically the mousse, and my favorite number is 9. Favorite animal is the wolf, followed by the dog, followed by the Komodo dragon. Speaking of dragons my favorite mythological animal, and one I somewhat identify with is the hydra.

As far as roleplaying goes, I've been playing for a few years but I am too tired to remember how many, on three other sites. I usually rely on research, theory and my own reason to determine what I think is best for an RP, a stance which I take for most think. I highly praise critical thinking and am of the belief that if something is a mistake, one should point it out and try to discuss it until own do the people understands the situation better. It's hard thing to explain so quickly, but I am running a blog and I'll put it in better detail there.

Still on the topic of roleplaying, I like being allowed to let my creativity flow, but I hate when things are left vague, in a void or unplanned. Freaks me out a little. I like to play exotic types of characters such as child, animal or tool characters and I enjoy exotic types of relationships as well.

Schedule wise I can be a bit unreliable , but I always put everything I can into making everyone happy and giving quality to the roleplay. Just give me the right information Smile

If you survive the exposition dump, well done. You get to face the final boss. Unfortunately he's on a vacation , so I guess you'll have to put with idea for a little while longer, heheheh
Saana
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040282256/

It's been a while since I've done an introduction... or has it? Empty Welcome~

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:39 am
Welcome! No administrator is currently online, but they'll welcome You soon enough!

i must say if You are really interested in philosophy, then You make life much easier for me to recruit a certain person! You see, there is this person who has roleplayed in the past, but due to the philosopher he is, he requires a reason or two to join this community. To make him get back to roleplaying would take really big measures, which i simply would not like to do, as i am not the type who would advertise forcefully.
But if You are interested in philosophy, we could make a topic for philosophy, and yeah, You can duck it out with him there!
Not to say that this is the only method, if You have Discord, You could simply add him as friend and duck it out in DMS. And i would not really oppose this method, but still, i hope for the former, so i could please administrator Iudex as well! It is two birds with one stone.
A new member would increase total amount of members by about 9%, and while philosophy is not really an explosive topic, it is a good long term material for activity.
So what do You say?

To be honest, i am not a roleplayer myself. Please do not ask me what i am doing here!!!

Oh, and You mentioned TCG. Which one(s) do You play? i played Pokemon, and still own more than thousand cards. i also played Yu Gi Oh, but more electronically, on the DS, PSP and later on the web, on Dueling Network, and after it closed, on Dueling Nexus, which i still use from time to time if i get a duel invite. In real life, i have three promo cards which i got from the DS game. They are: Brain Crusher, Hunter Owl and Masked Chopper.
That being said, i kinda dislike TCG, due to its lack of balance over time. i understand that they need to make profits, but it just disappoints long term players.

Oh, and there is number 9! In the past, i used to count the sum of numbers on the bus tickets i'd receive, and sum it again if the number would be 10 or higher, till i get a single number, and i'd hope the sum would be 9.
Of course, i'd use mathematical tricks! For example, the final sum of 9732 is simply 3, because we can ignore 9 in the sum, as it would eventually vanish. 7+2 is also a 9, so we can remove them both too, giving 3 as the single number, which is also the final number.
To see why we can ignore a 9, consider what happens if You have 19 for example. If we ignore the 9, the final sum would be 1. If we do not ignore, we would sum and find  10. Then if we sum it again, 1 and 0 give 1, which is exactly the same amount we'd find by ignoring the 9.
This is also related to the divisibility of a number by 9. If we find a sum of 9 or a multiple of it, it is divisible by 9. But a sum of 18 or a sum of 9 make no difference, so we could as well subtract a 9. This applies as many times as possible, so we could as well subtract a multiple of 9. For instance, 999 999 999 would ultimately sum to 9, with or without ignoring the 9s, since we could as well remove 999 999 990 from that number, which is the 111 111 110th multiple of 9, leaving a 9.

Finally, i'd like to note that this is a typical characteristic of philosophers: Long posts, followed by long replies. Though, as i tried to insinuate, it usually takes considerable time between the one and the other.

So if i understand correctly, You are on a trip? Well then, hope You enjoy, and see You whenever You are back!
Idea
Idea

It's been a while since I've done an introduction... or has it? Empty Re: It's been a while since I've done an introduction... or has it?

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:45 am
Saana wrote:Welcome! No administrator is currently online, but they'll welcome You soon enough!

i must say if You are really interested in philosophy, then You make life much easier for me to recruit a certain person! You see, there is this person who has roleplayed in the past, but due to the philosopher he is, he requires a reason or two to join this community. To make him get back to roleplaying would take really big measures, which i simply would not like to do, as i am not the type who would advertise forcefully.
But if You are interested in philosophy, we could make a topic for philosophy, and yeah, You can duck it out with him there!
Not to say that this is the only method, if You have Discord, You could simply add him as friend and duck it out in DMS. And i would not really oppose this method, but still, i hope for the former, so i could please administrator Iudex as well! It is two birds with one stone.
A new member would increase total amount of members by about 9%, and while philosophy is not really an explosive topic, it is a good long term material for activity.
So what do You say?

To be honest, i am not a roleplayer myself. Please do not ask me what i am doing here!!!

Oh, and You mentioned TCG. Which one(s) do You play? i played Pokemon, and still own more than thousand cards. i also played Yu Gi Oh, but more electronically, on the DS, PSP and later on the web, on Dueling Network, and after it closed, on Dueling Nexus, which i still use from time to time if i get a duel invite. In real life, i have three promo cards which i got from the DS game. They are: Brain Crusher, Hunter Owl and Masked Chopper.
That being said, i kinda dislike TCG, due to its lack of balance over time. i understand that they need to make profits, but it just disappoints long term players.

Oh, and there is number 9! In the past, i used to count the sum of numbers on the bus tickets i'd receive, and sum it again if the number would be 10 or higher, till i get a single number, and i'd hope the sum would be 9.
Of course, i'd use mathematical tricks! For example, the final sum of 9732 is simply 3, because we can ignore 9 in the sum, as it would eventually vanish. 7+2 is also a 9, so we can remove them both too, giving 3 as the single number, which is also the final number.
To see why we can ignore a 9, consider what happens if You have 19 for example. If we ignore the 9, the final sum would be 1. If we do not ignore, we would sum and find  10. Then if we sum it again, 1 and 0 give 1, which is exactly the same amount we'd find by ignoring the 9.
This is also related to the divisibility of a number by 9. If we find a sum of 9 or a multiple of it, it is divisible by 9. But a sum of 18 or a sum of 9 make no difference, so we could as well subtract a 9. This applies as many times as possible, so we could as well subtract a multiple of 9. For instance, 999 999 999 would ultimately sum to 9, with or without ignoring the 9s, since we could as well remove 999 999 990 from that number, which is the 111 111 110th multiple of 9, leaving a 9.

Finally, i'd like to note that this is a typical characteristic of philosophers: Long posts, followed by long replies. Though, as i tried to insinuate, it usually takes considerable time between the one and the other.

So if i understand correctly, You are on a trip? Well then, hope You enjoy, and see You whenever You are back!

Ahahaha, no I´m not on a trip, that was a joke. Lol

Fine by me. It´s usually interesting to meet someone else who is also interested in philosophy Smile

I used to play yu-gi-oh in the past, but that´s really dropped. These days, I play magic the gathering and hearhstone. I agree, I hate meta, in every game. I am more of a "Johny" deckbuilder, meaning I don´t realy strive to win, I strive to make creative and whacky decks and effects.
Saana
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040282256/

It's been a while since I've done an introduction... or has it? Empty Re: It's been a while since I've done an introduction... or has it?

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:07 am
Idea wrote:
Spoiler:

Ahahaha, no I´m not on a trip, that was a joke. Lol

Fine by me. It´s usually interesting to meet someone else who is also interested in philosophy Smile

I used to play yu-gi-oh in the past, but that´s really dropped. These days, I play magic the gathering and hearhstone. I agree, I hate meta, in every game. I am more of a "Johny" deckbuilder, meaning I don´t realy strive to win, I strive to make creative and whacky decks and effects.

Oh, it was a joke...

i made a philosophy topic. Of course, i will also participate in it, given the time, and not only moderate it!
But i should warn You, the person i am talking about is a budding philosopher, not only a person with interest in it! Now to see how far we can get this going...

i have been playing Yu Gi Oh without using synchro, XYZ or pendulum. At some point, i could not survive anymore with these creative decks of mine. i started using flood cards, but i started questioning this way of dueling. While on the verge of quitting, i found some meta decks which do not rely on extra deck (excepts possibly fusion), which made me survive for a year or two longer. And once i reached top 25 on Dueling Network! After that site got hit due to all the legality issues, i somewhat stopped playing it.
i think meta is part of all TCGs, and ultimately of all games. Once a combo is done by a certain person, everyone copies him/her, and that big play becomes meta. So it becomes a question of being able to create a new meta.
deviLzxdemon
deviLzxdemon

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:19 am
You claim you like nicknames and you also claim to be a Philosopher so guess you won't mind being called as Phil.

Welcome to the roleplay-paradise.forums Phil and hope you have a lot of good recommendations for the roleplaying games which you found interesting.
Idea
Idea

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:31 am

Oh, it was a joke...

i made a philosophy topic. Of course, i will also participate in it, given the time, and not only moderate it!
But i should warn You, the person i am talking about is a budding philosopher, not only a person with interest in it! Now to see how far we can get this going...

i have been playing Yu Gi Oh without using synchro, XYZ or pendulum. At some point, i could not survive anymore with these creative decks of mine. i started using flood cards, but i started questioning this way of dueling. While on the verge of quitting, i found some meta decks which do not rely on extra deck (excepts possibly fusion), which made me survive for a year or two longer. And once i reached top 25 on Dueling Network! After that site got hit due to all the legality issues, i somewhat stopped playing it.
i think meta is part of all TCGs, and ultimately of all games. Once a combo is done by a certain person, everyone copies him/her, and that big play becomes meta. So it becomes a question of being able to create a new meta.
[/quote]

As socrates said "you either philosophize or you don´t philosophize. If you philosophize then you philosophize. If you don´t philosophize, then you philosophize about philosophizing". Being a philosopher and having an interest in philosophy are pratically the same, if not actually the same.

Yeah, meta is part of all games with strategy. That doesn´t mean that´s a good thing though.

deviLzxdemon wrote:You claim you like nicknames and you also claim to be a Philosopher so guess you won't mind being called as Phil.

Welcome to the roleplay-paradise.forums Phil and hope you have a lot of good recommendations for the roleplaying games which you found interesting.

Well, then at least at a "dr" to my nickname. (get the reference?) Razz

And what do you mean "recommendation for roleplaying games you found interesting"?
deviLzxdemon
deviLzxdemon

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:35 am
ColdPursuit
ColdPursuit

Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:03 am
Idea wrote:
As Socrates said "you either philosophize or you don´t philosophize. If you philosophize then you philosophize. If you don´t philosophize, then you philosophize about philosophizing". Being a philosopher and having an interest in philosophy are practically the same, if not actually the same.

Hmm, really now? Perhaps I'm unfamiliar with whatever dialogue that must be from since I don't really remember Socrates ever saying anything like that. On the other hand, it also sounds to be out of character for something Socrates would say. Socrates often believed that philosophy was so powerful in it's potential and possibilities that it would pitch itself. This was also an issue that came up in both Plato's Apology and Aristophanes' The Clouds, that of Socrates being a teacher with a school of philosophy who was actively pitching it to potential students, which of course was complete falsehood (philosophy was merely a hobby for him, he was both a stonemason and a hoplite).

Quotes and lines become butchered and twisted nearly all the time as history continues to move forward. Ur line sounds much more like it was derived from Aristotle, who was also a real teacher of philosophy with a real school (the Lyceum), in his work Protrecipitus, which was made mostly by Aristotle to pitch philosophy to the younger crowd. As the line goes: "If you should do philosophy, you should do philosophy, and if you should not do philosophy, then you should do philosophy. Therefore in every case you should do philosophy. For if philosophy exists, then positively we are obliged to do philosophy, since it truly exists. But if it does not truly exist, even so we are obliged to investigate how it is that philosophy does not truly exist. But by investigating we would be doing philosophy, since to investigate is the cause of philosophy."

Also being a philosopher and having an interest in philosophy being practically if not the same usually depends on who/what you follow. For example Aristotle as shown by the passage equates investigating the world to "be doing philosophy", i.e. a philosopher. Just merely philosophizing means u r talking about something seriously, it does not necessarily mean you are investigating something seriously, which also makes sense of Aristotle since he's really the first philosopher that delved into actual science and scientific experiments, among other things (like logic). Though if we wanted to follow Socrates or Plato for example, they would argue probably something like close, but not quite yet. For them philosophy was heavily related to politics and how you involved yourself into politics to use your ideas to better the society around you such as shown in Plato's Republic. This also becomes a core issue for Socrates in both the Apology and Plato's Symposium. He has to deal with the fact that many ppl can use philosophy for corrupt means and corrupt goals, such as becoming a political tyrant (which was the case for one of his former star followers Alcibiades).

As for me personally, if you can delve beneath the surface of any sort of issue and can be equally open-minded as you are critical of any knowledge you come across, you're good enough to be a philosopher in my book.

~Cold
Idea
Idea

Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:57 pm
ColdPursuit wrote:
Idea wrote:
As Socrates said "you either philosophize or you don´t philosophize. If you philosophize then you philosophize. If you don´t philosophize, then you philosophize about philosophizing". Being a philosopher and having an interest in philosophy are practically the same, if not actually the same.

Hmm, really now? Perhaps I'm unfamiliar with whatever dialogue that must be from since I don't really remember Socrates ever saying anything like that. On the other hand, it also sounds to be out of character for something Socrates would say. Socrates often believed that philosophy was so powerful in it's potential and possibilities that it would pitch itself. This was also an issue that came up in both Plato's Apology and Aristophanes' The Clouds, that of Socrates being a teacher with a school of philosophy who was actively pitching it to potential students, which of course was complete falsehood (philosophy was merely a hobby for him, he was both a stonemason and a hoplite).

Quotes and lines become butchered and twisted nearly all the time as history continues to move forward. Ur line sounds much more like it was derived from Aristotle, who was also a real teacher of philosophy with a real school (the Lyceum), in his work Protrecipitus, which was made mostly by Aristotle to pitch philosophy to the younger crowd. As the line goes: "If you should do philosophy, you should do philosophy, and if you should not do philosophy, then you should do philosophy. Therefore in every case you should do philosophy. For if philosophy exists, then positively we are obliged to do philosophy, since it truly exists. But if it does not truly exist, even so we are obliged to investigate how it is that philosophy does not truly exist. But by investigating we would be doing philosophy, since to investigate is the cause of philosophy."

Also being a philosopher and having an interest in philosophy being practically if not the same usually depends on who/what you follow. For example Aristotle as shown by the passage equates investigating the world to "be doing philosophy", i.e. a philosopher. Just merely philosophizing means u r talking about something seriously, it does not necessarily mean you are investigating something seriously, which also makes sense of Aristotle since he's really the first philosopher that delved into actual science and scientific experiments, among other things (like logic). Though if we wanted to follow Socrates or Plato for example, they would argue probably something like close, but not quite yet. For them philosophy was heavily related to politics and how you involved yourself into politics to use your ideas to better the society around you such as shown in Plato's Republic. This also becomes a core issue for Socrates in both the Apology and Plato's Symposium. He has to deal with the fact that many ppl can use philosophy for corrupt means and corrupt goals, such as becoming a political tyrant (which was the case for one of his former star followers Alcibiades).

As for me personally, if you can delve beneath the surface of any sort of issue and can be equally open-minded as you are critical of any knowledge you come across, you're good enough to be a philosopher in my book.

~Cold

I may have mis-atributed the quote admitedly. In fact, I am not even sure I was exact with the words, given this was a quote I was told and wrote down, but that took place over a year ago.

But what you say is true. I take it you´re that friend @saana mentioned? Pleasure to meet you either way. In my view, philosophy isn´t somehting you should "follow someone" about: it´s about understanding the truth, and so you might at the most lean on certain sources to give you a headstart in understanding what the problem is about and having supporting and contrasting views. Anyway, that´s enough of that here. I will see you in the philosophy section, I suppose? Smile
Iudex Mortem
Iudex Mortem
Admin
Admin

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:07 am
Welcome to the forum, Idea.
It's nice to have you on board
I am glad to see you've already made some friends here
Idea
Idea

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:33 am
Iudex Mortem wrote:Welcome to the forum, Idea.
It's nice to have you on board
I am glad to see you've already made some friends here

ah, thank you!

hope ta roleplay with ya sometime!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum